Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Fingerprints

Dear Kaden,

Today we had yogurt for breakfast. You took it upon yourself to smear it all over your hands and wipe it all over the window by the table.

I was so mad. LIVID.

I asked you several times to stop, and you ignored me in 3 year old style.

This made me even MORE angry.

But after getting Jenna to school and coming back home to take care of stuff, I saw those fingerprints over and over....and yet I could not bring myself to wipe them away.

All I could think was that someone, somewhere, was probably wishing they had yogurt smeared all over their windows. Perhaps it was someone who has lost a child, or someone who has not yet been able to have one, or someone whose child will never be able to use their hands to make messes like that.

It stayed on my mind all day...those fingerprints...and you. And how lucky I am to have you, messes and all.

And I realized how truly lucky I am when I was making you an apron today and you ran upstairs and exclaimed, "oh mom! My favorite color! Blue stripes!!!" And you hugged me as I held up the apron against your little body and you said, "mom, you make the BEST aprons EVER!"

Yes, Mr. Kaden. I will take those fingerprints all over my window every day of the year if it means I have you here with me.

Love, mom