Saturday, January 16, 2010

Our morning PJ party

Dear Jenna,

Today you woke up pretty early after hearing a weird sound...a sound that we also heard and didn't know what it was. As daddy and I were laying in bed trying to go back to sleep, I turned over to change positions and was startled by the shadow of a girl with long hair in a nightgown.

I screamed.

And my screams scared you. So you crawled in bed with me and you and daddy and I laid there talking about what the noise could be and about the movie dad went and saw last night. And suddenly I got a brilliant idea that you and I should go to breakfast.

So we hurried downstairs, trying to be as quiet as possible as to not wake the boys. And even though they ended up waking up, we sneaked out in our pajamas and went to Denny's.

I think on many days I would have been ashamed to be seen in public in what I was wearing as pajamas...some old pink lounge pants and a teal t-shirt our landlord brought us from Hawaii. Let's just say that I was a fashion disaster...and I knew it. But I was so happy to have time with you...and to be going out for breakfast.

More acceptable than my outfit, however, was your cute princess jammie top and coordinating bottoms. However, I think that being 5 years old, you would have looked cute no matter what.

We were seated at our table and pulled out the menu. I loved talking to you about all the choices--you knew exactly what you wanted. The dunkers...ball shaped pancakes with syrup hoops. It was very cute.

While we waited we talked about all sorts of stuff. There was no crying, whining, complaining...none of that. Just you, my sweet girl, with your mind full of fascinating questions and cheerful conversation. I can honestly say, I enjoyed every minute with you.

At one point in our conversation, I asked if you were excited that you didn't have to school on Monday. Your answer was this..."oh yes! When I don't go to school, I get to stay home with my family. And I LOVE staying home with my family. Even on days like Saturday..."

You impressed me with your sincere answer.

As we were finishing up, a woman who had been sitting nearby came up to us and said that you were the sweetest little girl ever, and that she was so pleased to see that a mom and daughter could have such rapport between each other.

THAT MADE ME SO HAPPY...My heart swelled with joy to hear her say that....and I hope that we always have that special connection between us. I do. Whether it be over breakfast, or after school, or during a really hard time. I hope we have these moments together...often.

I love you Jenna girl...and I loved our time together today. It was the perfect way to start the morning...

Love,
mom